Tuesday 29 December 2015

Colours for Elves

Last modified on: 29-December-2015.

MY FAVOURITE COLOURS FOR ELVES

To begin with I loathe blue Elves! Medium blue and dark blue should only be used for trim and even then only in moderation!!!!

I hate this shade of blue for Elves and there is far too much of it!

Here is another example of blue that I hate, hate, hate, hate!

I want vivid, bright colours and not your normal, everyday shades. For example, I love the lime green below instead of a dark forest green. I also love the bordello red (7 photos below) instead of the standard fire engine red. As you are painting, think Bright, Brilliant, Radiant, Vibrant, Intense, Rich, Flamboyant, Eye-Catching, Luminous, Electrifying, Dazzling!

My favourite colours for Elves are green and orange, but not boring green and orange.

I love this shade of green. I guess it would be called lime green.
However, I am not a fan of the green helmet!
The black spear shaft looks pretty good.
A black spear shaft might be even better for orange and bordello red Elves.

While I like this shade of green, I dislike the combination with silver,
red, and blue. It doesn’t work for me.
However, I do like the ivory/tan coloured spear shafts.

Here is a nice combination of colours though I would like them a bit brighter!
Nevertheless, they look very good!
I like the ivory/tan coloured spear shafts.

Not an Elvish warrior, but I love, love, love, love the orange and green!

Great yellow and green Elf. I love the colours!

I like this combination of colours.

Great shade of red, which may be bordello red.


Great lavender Elves.

Nice purple. However, be careful not to make it too dark.
I love the purple with the golden armour.

I couldn’t find any Elves dressed in pink, but here are two great pinks.

This bright, deep pink would be great for Elves!

Definitely a hot pink. Great for Elves I think!

I like this combination of sort-of-orange and light blue together.

Okay yellow Elves. Not overjoyed with the look of this unit,
but it is better than medium blue and dark blue!
Use this yellow, but don’t over do it.




I love this archer. Great selection of colours. Great contrast between the different colours. I hadn’t thought about painting the feathers different colours. What a dummy I am. The feathers look great. Unfortunately, the photo is out of focus. I’m still having problems with my camera. Anyway, you can still see that it is great! The model on the right has been coated in Quick Shade.



I love this swordsman. Great job. I love the colours. Great contrast of colours. Great shield! Paint more like this one! It has been coated in Quick Shade. BTW there is no need for you to put a wash on your painted miniatures. Let Quick Shade handle the shading. I don’t know how I took this good of a close up photo. I wish that I had been taking notes!



I love this axeman. Love the green cloak. The only thing that I don’t love is the dark brown boots (that may have been my choice). I may re-paint them a lighter colour. The model on the right has been coated in Quick Shade.



I love this archer. You know that I hate those blue blue Elves, but this is a very nice use of blue. Good job! Strange colouring on the bow, but okay. I love the red slippers! The model on the right has been coated in Quick Shade.



I love this archer. Great choice of colours and great contrast of colours!


For some reason I can’t take a decent photo of this archer! I’ve tried dozens of time! That is unfortunate as I wanted to show you what I have done with the helmet. I thought that there was an over use of the orangish gold colour on the helmet, chain mail, and bow tips. Also, the helmet seemed to be lightly painted - maybe that was an artistic choice. Anyway, I re-painted the helmet yellow gold and re-painted the helmet’s ridge white gold to contrast. I like the contrast. I like the green pants.

Well, I finally got a half decent photo of this guy! However, the colour of the metal isn’t exactly right. The white gold on the helmet’s ridge is less white and more gold in real life. In fact the colours are better on the above out of focus photo!




So, for the first time, here is a paint job that I don’t like! It had to happen eventually. Anyway, I thought that the following spearmen needed more contrast between colours and more vibrant colours. The 2 models on the left are as 4RoC painted them and the model on the right was re-painted by me and then had Quick Shade applied.


I thought that the brass armour colour was over used. So, I painted the helmet a yellow gold. I think that it turned out really well and contrasts nicely with the brass body armour.

I thought that the one glove was too drab, so I painted it a brighter colour. I wanted contrast, but now it is may be too close to the colour of the yellow gold helmet! You win some and you lose some!

Tristan and I had several discussions about the grey ribbons on the spear, so I really don’t understand how they ended up still being grey! Anyway, I repainted them lavender as I had requested.

I thought the shield needed to pop out at you and be more vibrant, so I used yellow gold on the interior metal design, but I left the edging of the shield as brass to contrast. I used a brighter red (darkened by Quick Shade) on the interior shield background. I was puzzled by the boss or gem. At first I thought it was black and that the paint was peeling off leaving some white spots. Later I realized that it was dark purple and that every one of the 12 shields had those same pair of white spots. So, I guess you painted little eyes on the shields’ gems? Anyway, I wanted it to be brighter and more vibrant, so I painted the gem bright fluorescent red. Personally, I think that the shield is greatly improved by these changes.

Love the red cloak.

I hope that you don’t think that I am being too hypercritical. I’m just letting you know what I want on future projects: BRIGHT COLOURS AND CONTRASTING COLOURS!

2 comments:

  1. I always liked those old Ral Partha elves. After being out of production for twenty or thirty years someone is planning on bringing in them back into production.
    Definitely too many GW medium blue & white elves out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you find this web page?

    ReplyDelete